Welcome To My Blog

Book reviews ... Author interviews ... and anything else I think might be of interest to writers and readers.

Tuesday 20 September 2016

Missing Presumed by Susie Steiner



Missing, Presumed


When I requested and read this book for review I wasn’t aware that it was the first in a new series featuring DS Manon Bradshaw, but I enjoyed it so much that I was really glad to find out that appears to be the case.

In this book we follow Manon on a missing person case. Edith Hind, young daughter of a very well-connected family, has gone missing from home and Manon knows how crucial the first 72 hours of the investigation are if she’s to have any chance of finding her. As the investigation into Edith’s disappearance continues, the team of detectives uncover details about Edith’s private life that suggest almost too many possible reasons for her disappearance.

The story is told from the point of view of various different characters involved in the investigation. I found this gave an interesting panoramic feel to the story as it progressed, but it was the sections from Manon’s point of view that I enjoyed the most. Her voice really shone through and lifted the story out of the ranks of the usual crime novel.

We also find out quite a lot about Manon’s private life in the course of the story. As we join her at the beginning she is looking for love through a series of unsatisfactory internet dating encounters. But will it turn out that she’s looking for love in completely the wrong place?

I recommend this to anyone who enjoys crime that is a little bit different from the norm. I enjoyed the story, but more than that I just really enjoyed being in the company of DS Manon Bradshaw.

I obtained a review copy of this book via Netgalley.

You can find out more here.


No comments: